Saturday, January 15, 2011

Belize~ Days 7-8

Belize was GOOD to us! We were able to relax and pack in a ton of fun! We did 6 dives in 3 days! I was kind of nervous to get Scuba Certified, but I DID IT!!!! Yes, I am really proud of myself! The Scuba instructor (Scuba Steve) was very laid back and took all the stress out of it.
Our first dive down was AMAZING!! We had been underwater only a few minutes, Billy and Scuba Steve were trying to show me an eel hiding in some coral, when I here a muffled yell. I look up to see Scuba Steve frantically motioning me to come toward him. I start swimming toward him and look over my shoulder to make sure nothing is behind me. I see something swimming right towards me! I think my heart might have stopped for a minute until a dolphin swam right by me! Yes, shark was my first thought! There was another guys diving with us and he went back to the boat and got his underwater camera. He filmed and took pictures of these amazing dolphins for about 15 minutes!
The dolphins were incredibly smart! There was a fish trap and they would turn the trap over and over and work together to release the fish and then eat them. The dolphins would swim within just a few inches of my outstretched hand. I think Billy touched them a few times. When we came up out of the water, Scuba Steve was SO excited! He said he has never seen anything like that before. We don't have any of the footage yet, but I hope we will be able to, cuz it was incredible.
The pic above is taken from a restaurant where we had breakfast. Below is from our hotel at sunrise!





All the dives were amazing! We went down about 80 feet.
We saw sharks, eels, sea turtles, sting rays, all different kinds of fish.






I think one of my favorite things about our trip was riding cruiser bikes in Belize!! We would ride them on the beach in the morning and then again to go Scuba diving.
We stopped at a road side fruit stand (Pupusa's) for most of our meals. They would cut us up some fresh pineapple. (I think we easily ate a pineapple a day). They were so sweet to us! Mama Pupusa made these fresh tortillas with beans or meat in them. It would get dark before 5:00pm. So usually on our way home from diving, we would get a pupusa and go back to our hotel and relax.


The roads were all cobblestone. There were a few trucks and vans, but for the most part everyone drove golf carts or rode bikes.
When we first landed in San Pedro, all the parents were taking their kids to school in golf carts. It was so cute! I love it!

I wish I lived somewhere warm year round!!

3 comments:

Sara Jensen said...

Wow! I am so happy that you guys got to go on this trip!!!! So lucky!!! I hope you are doing great! Love you!

~ Katie said...

Wow Amanda, your vacation looked fabulous!! That is wonderful that you two had a get-away. Nate and I are sooo needing one right now and it doesn't help at all with this cooler weather. I think we are just ready for spring :) Thanks for posting. I'm a slacker...lol!

Anonymous said...


Rar Password Unlocker
Rar Password Unlocker